EXTREMELY dry legs, symptom of what?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXTREMELY dry legs, symptom of what?

My legs are always super dry, and I used to think it was from either poor nutrition or dehydration. But having been primal for the past 5 months or so I know my nutrition is pretty good. And I've been drinking like a camel lately, my pee is even clear, yet my legs have gotten even drier. They're never as dry after I shave, since it exfoliates them, but why would I be shedding so much? It doesn't seem very healthy and it worries me. I don't use lotion or anything, I'm au naturelle. I would really appreciate any knowledge anyone may have on this! Thanks!

DoG, I don't know what causes dryness, but coconut oil is an excellent moisturizer. My skin tends to get dry in the winters. Maybe it's just the cold weather.

Comment

DoG,

I second Maba on this one. I started using CO all over as a skin moisturizer, and it works famously.

Comment

This may not be an issue for you, but when I eat a lot of fat my skin is waaaay smoother and not at all dry. If I skimp on the fat my skin gets dry.

quette's journal

Comment

maba and kuno1chi- That is good to know. However, I really worry about just covering up a symptom of possibly something deeper. I'd much rather get to the root of the problem.

groquette- I think I'm getting enough fat, but you may be right. Meat is the main staple of my diet, and red meat is my favorite, so I get a lot of that, and also eat nuts seeds, and lots of eggs. I also take fish oil, about 880mg/day.

Comment

I don't see why it would be caused by anything. Humans simply don't have a lot of oil glands on the limbs. Plus we bathe (often in hot water) much more frequently than Grok would have. This has a very drying affect on the skin.

If you have flaking, it is not because your skin is shedding more, but because the skin cells are not being released in a speedy fashion, for whatever reason - instead they are clinging together and coming off in big clumps.

I am pale and of British descent. Most people like me have some dry skin issues. I find people I know with darker and more naturally oily skin have many less.

My skin is a teeny bit better since I started eating very high-fat, but lots of manual care is also required.

Comment

How's the skin on your elbows? Dry too? That's a big symptom of hypothyroidism (as is dry skin).

Comment

Have you used any new/different laundry detergents or soaps? Maybe a reaction to something?

Bags
                Primal Since 10/2009

Comment

I would also suggest taking another look at fats. My skin definitely dries up when I don't get enough fat. You want saturated fat...so, nut & seeds won't do it. Fat from meats, coconut oil, lard, butter etc. are the way to go.

Comment

Has it gotten cold where you are? Cold weather is often drier and can dry out your skin. So can (oddly enough) showers that are too hot. Try buying a moisturizing body wash, like Dove, and see if that helps.

All the other suggestions you've received also sound like they might be helpful. I'd also make an appointment with a doctor sooner rather than later, to get this looked at.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Ecala- Yes, my elbows are the other spot that often get dry. Those are basically the only two spots that do.

I have lived in both hot and cold weather, and skin remains the same regardless. I take cold showers and use all natural essential oil based body washes without sodium lauryl sulfate or any of that stuff in there.

What Ecala said seems to fit best, and my mom does have thyroid issues. However, if that is what I have I don't want to take medications like she does. Is there a natural way of getting that under control?

Comment

Thank you so much Ecala! So I looked up the symptoms and they are like all of my biggest issues practically to a tee! You are brilliant! Now I just need to figure out a natural way of fixing it without getting all medicated

Comment

DoG could all your long distance running be having negative effects on your thyroid?

Comment

Well, you could check into taking some iodine. Idolized salt was supposed to take care of that but there's still a deficiency-- especially if you live near the Great Lakes.

Read this

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2009/08/iodine-deficiency-is-real.html

and more here

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/search?q=iodine

Other than that, I'd reduce stress and take vitamins and some L-tyrosine and selenium.

Comment

"I don't use lotion or anything, I'm au naturelle."

The first thing that pops into my mind is that the soaps and shaving creams or lotions you're using are drying out your legs. If you really want to be "au naturelle", I would highly recommend using either coconut or olive oil to moisturize your legs. This will help to offset the drying effect of the other products you're using. Drinking water has no effect on the moisture of your skin- intake of fat does. Is your fat intake high?

Before going primal, I also had extremely dry, itchy legs. I found that eliminating wheat fixed that for me. I hope you find something that works for you, but even being primal, my skin needs moisture!

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X