No announcement yet.

"Caffeine/coffee addiction and you"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I agree with you that caffeine is a nasty evil substance that is doing a lot of harm to a lot of people? Yes.

Do either of us have the right to shove that opinion down the throats of everyone else? No.
    interesting. you are offended that I suggest the blog writer's attention be pointed to a commonly consumed food that you yourself believe to be "nasty evil substance that is doing a lot of harm to a lot of people"? Asking Mark Sisson to blog about this is somehow offensive? quite strange.

sorry if people don't like hearing that bean juice isn't as benign as their barista tells them it is; last time I checked people don't like hearing that their whole wheat bagels, fat free, sugared yogurt or orange juice is not healthy either. The difference is that 1.) this is a health and wellness community in which (hopefully) people are looking to improve their health and expand their own awareness and critical thinking; 2) I started this thread for the hopes of attracting a blog post by the blog writers, the caffeine fundamentalists bearing torches at TFC blaspheming their holy water -- yeah that's their own deal. I cannot be held responsible for angry, fundamentalist, coffee worshiping mob.

If nothing else they do make me take a second look at my coffee habit.
    Mission accomplished. I think a blog post by Mark Sisson would do the same x10,000 people. What's wrong with that?
    ad astra per aspera

Comment

You have angered the Coffee Gods, and for that you will pay!

Comment

The level of anti-coffee rhetoric in this thread is totally hilarious to me. I think fastcat got beat up by a Barista.
        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by TheFastCat View Post
          sorry if people don't like hearing that bean juice isn't as benign as their barista tells them it is
          You haven't provided any evidence of this anecdotal or otherwise. I can tell you Oxygen is bad for you or quote water statistics about how it can cause water toxicity too. It doesn’t follow that it is true with out both the data and the context. Provide it if you have it. If you don’t concede your point.

What's wrong with that?
          The same thing that is wrong with the flat worlders. They rant and scream, but provide no evidence. When faced with rebuttals they dismiss them rather than engage them.
          If your food is fast, maybe you should fast.

Comment

This is a good question. I love coffee too but have given it up since going primal, for a number of reasons. I have pcos so perhaps it messes with me more than others, but I find that taking any form of caffeine induces hunger. This is because it stimulates the production of the stress hormone cortisol, adrenaline and other hormones, which I could certainly do without. Nearly all the sources of advice for pcos sufferers is to avoid caffeine completely and I feel much better, and more awake without it.

Comment

I don't care if it's damaging anything. The reason I'm PB and not Paleo Diet is because PB realizes we are all citizens of the world as it exists now, not as some people idealize it. I have one cup of chai in the morning and the occasional latte when out and about. I've become more caffeine sensitive over the years, so a little is fine for me. It's a quality of life issue, not about absolutes. Relax a little bit. I'm sure if we dug into your daily food consumption, we'd find something to disagree with and find some studies to back us up.

And of course, it's a bit of a crutch. And of course folks drink too much of it. I think after a cup or two, it's a matter of diminishing returns. But we like our crutch. What's yours?
              The Paleo Periodical
              It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

Comment

interesting. you are offended that I suggest the blog writer's attention be pointed to a commonly consumed food that you yourself believe to be "nasty evil substance that is doing a lot of harm to a lot of people"? Asking Mark Sisson to blog about this is somehow offensive? quite strange. I cannot be held responsible for angry, fundamentalist, coffee worshiping mob.
                I'm just saying that your OPINION (which I happen to share in this case) is not the same thing as a FACT. They are not a coffee worshiping mob to be disparaged, they are people with a different OPINION than yours. They have the right to their opinion. Your strident sermonizing it what is offensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Buttercup View Post
                  But we like our crutch. What's yours?
                  I think TheFastCat's crutch is cortisol and perhaps other stress hormones as well because he seems to be addicted to getting too worked up and upset about other people's not following a fundamentalist paleolithic diet. He might want to consider cutting out excess stress hormones because there are many studies that show that it's detrimental to one's health.

@The FastCat, I know you're just trying to help, but all you can do is provide the information (most of which is conflicting; we humans don't understand anything as well as it sometimes seems like we do) and let everyone make their own decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by DubleYoo View Post
                    @The FastCat, I know you're just trying to help, but all you can do is provide the information (most of which is conflicting; we humans don't understand anything as well as it sometimes seems like we do) and let everyone make their own decisions.
                    +1,000
                    The Paleo Periodical
                    It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

Comment

i have coffee sporadically throughout the week. sometimes i drink two cups in a morning and then have none for the rest of the week. NO WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS. i drank several cups of coffee every single day for months, and then quit for 3 weeks, cold turkey, NO SYMPTOMS. how does that fit into your "caffeine is an addictive drug" tirade?
                      my primal journal:
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrat View Post
                        I'm addicted to coffee because I can't afford cocaine.
                        lmao.

Originally posted by DubleYoo View Post
                        I think TheFastCat's crutch is cortisol and perhaps other stress hormones as well because he seems to be addicted to getting too worked up and upset about other people's not following a fundamentalist paleolithic diet. He might want to consider cutting out excess stress hormones because there are many studies that show that it's detrimental to one's health.
                        definitely. i wonder what other activities we can think of which raise cortisol levels.
                        my primal journal:
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Ok..I think I have an interesting perspective to bring to this thread. I recently, less than 8 weeks ago, STARTED drinking coffee when I went Paleo/PB.

Why did I start? I removed my original caffiene addicted ritual of drinking Diet Pepsi in the mornings!

Yes, I was SERIOUSLY addicted to Diet Soda prior to Primal. I would drink anywhere from 4-8 20.oz. diet pepsi's throughout any given day.Over the years, this has resulted in my having to pass 6 kidney stones(yes-mothers-I have felt the closest thing a male can feel to giving birth 6 times!) Im still working the diet sodas out of my system. Im down to 1 diet soda per day now.

Anyway, with coffee I have one ~ 12 o.z. cup in the morning. I am Primal so I dont add any nasty sugar or milk. I do add cinnamon (wow! what a good combo of flavors...). AND THAT IS ALL I NEED FOR THE ENTIRE DAY. Wow! The kick start it gives me in the morning. I dont drink any other cups for the rest of the day and I have no trouble sleeping at night.

So, am I addicted? Probably. Do I care? Definitely not. I have felt better in these past 8 weeks than I have felt in the past 20 years.

Bottom line is I have removed a horribly bad addiction from my life that has given me evidence of negative impact on my body (i.e. 6 kidney stones) and replaced it with one that is up until now for me....very benign. So, that is a healthy improvement in my life. And coffee is a part of it.

One other thing, TFC, with your position on coffee very clear to all....I wonder how you feel about alcohol?
                          If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
                          James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

Comment

Can't wait for fastcats alcohol post! Also look forward to being berated for staying out too late with friends, not sprinting every week, occasionally undereating my green veg etc. - it's like the paleo internet forum version of moving back in with momma!
                            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

tfarny, get off of the computer right now. Don't ever use one again. It's messing up your circadian rhythms. And I would recommend not using English anymore. Grok sure didn't! There's nothing primal about English.

Comment

It's a post like this that makes me regret popcorn isn't primal. Entertainment GOLD.

Comment

Working...
                                X