* CARE Study Group. (2008). "Maternal Caffeine Intake During Pregnancy and Risk of Fetal Growth Restriction: A Large Prospective Observational Study." BMJ, 337: a2332.
* CTV News. (22 January 2008). "Caffeine Doubles Miscarriage Risk, Study Finds." CTV.ca.
* Ensminger, A.H. (1994). Foods and Nutrition Encyclopedia. CRC Press.
* Grodstein, Goldman, M.B., Ryan, L., & Cramer, D.W. (1993). "Relation of Female Infertility to Consumption of Caffeinated Beverages." American Journal of Epidemiology, 137(12): 1353-1360.
* Kaslow, J., MD. (n.d.). “Health Issues Associated with Coffee and Caffeine.” Drkaslow.com.
* Kerr et al. (1993). "Effect of Caffeine on the Recognition of and Responses to Hypoglycemia in Humans." Annals of Internal Medicine, 119(8): 799-804.
* Kirchheimer, S. (Reviewed by Michael W. Smith, MD, 2004). “Coffee, the New Health Food?” WebMD.
* Kovacs, B., MS, RD. (Reviewed by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD, 2007). “Caffeine.” MedicineNet.
* Mathur, R., MD. (Reviewed by William C. Shiel, Jr., MD, FACP, FACR, 2005). “Hypoglycemia.” MedicineNet.
* ScienceDaily. (15 June 2007). "How Coffee Raises Cholesterol." ScienceDaily.com.
* WebMD in Collaboration with the Cleveland Clinic. (2003; edited by Cynthia Dennison Haines, MD, on 1 April 2005). “Stretch Marks.” MedicineNet.
Here's a good resource on studies/findings
that took me a single Google search, 5 minutes and two links off of the front search page. If you are looking for reasons to continue drinking coffee you don't need one - if you like the ritual and are aware, accepting of the negative side effects of its consumption I have nothing left to harp about. But I am trying to spread the word to those who don't know any better which is why I'd like Mark to do a post on coffee and the steamy tendrils of addiction.
I don't know if its different in Iceland Krassi - but here in America we have Starbucks, coffee shops etc about everywhere. In downtown denver there are literally 10 starbucks locations in about a 2 mile square radius -- what does that say about the demand for the drug they are selling? in fact Starbucks just recently introduced a new 30oz drink size. There is a coffee machine in my office that is constantly brewing coffee to keep up with demand. American culture has latched on to the stimulant of caffeine in part due to the culture of our work ethic. Many people are exhausted when they wake up and depend on coffee to wake up and mentally function.