are peas and green beans okay?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timely post, fiddlestix!

I've been trying to work it out in terms of whether to try to grow peas / beans or not!

Comment

Originally posted by fiddlestix View Post
      Sorry to resurrect a somewhat old post, but green beans were just mentioned on Robb Wolf's podcast "the Paleolithic Solution" and i thought it was worth sharing:

http://robbwolf.com/2010/01/26/the-p...on-episode-12/

He points out that the reason most legumes are off negative is the large amounts of lectin and green beans don't have that. he calls them "benign" and says he eats them all the time.

i think where paleo gets a bad wrap is when it sounds silly when the only reason people know they don't eat something is because "it didn't exist 12,000 years ago"when in actuality there is a real reason related to how that food interacts with your body as to why you shouldn't eat it.

on the same hand, if a legume is lacking the negative lectins and carb load... it is just fine.
      Thanks for this! This is a VERY late reply but I was wondering if green beans are primal/paleo and therefore did a google search. This forum came up at the top! Mark includes green beans in a recipe in his Primal Blueprint Cookbook and Robb Wolf includes it in a recipe in his Paleo Solution book. Also, LOVE green beans and they are abundant at the farmers market.

About half the carb content is fiber.
      Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Timely, considering Thanksgiving is around the corner and a green bean dish is considered a staple of the American Thanksgiving feast.
        "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

It's Canadian Thanksgiving today!
          Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

chima:
            What is considered standard Thanksgiving fare for Canada? I wonder if it is the same sorts of things as in the States.

MUST HAVE:
            pumpkin!
            cranberries! -- for many, this is the only time of the year they'll eat them, but it just doesn't "feel" like Thanksgiving without them on that one day
            green beens!
            turkey (of course)!
            some sort of mashed root vegetable!

How about up there?
            "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Stuffing is usually considered a 'must have' also

Comment

I love 'em, but am not sure I want to eat them because they are legumes. I want to get all the antinutrients out of my diet. However, those tiny green beans called "haricots verts" I think shoud be ok, cuz they're more pod, less seed. (bean).

Comment

I eat green beans and (occasionally) peas as a "sensible compromise" to my Primal eating. I think most of us might agree that the pod itself, being a leafy, watery, fibrous part of the plant, is an edible and perfectly primal food. The seeds within, on the other hand, probably not so much. But since they are immature and small (in the case of green beans, anyway), they don't have too negative an effect on the body.

TJ
                  "Prase The LARD"

Comment

Lol!

Comment

Who cares what Grok did? As if doing something different than grok automatically makes it unhealthy. FYI, "grok" did a lot of stupid shit. He threw babies off of cliffs, virgins into volcanoes and beat his women. Yes, we should all strive to be more like Grok.

We have far more to fear from seed oils, HFCS, and wheat, than a handful of peas eaten every once in a while.

Comment

Some plants go through a life-cycle where they change dramatically from one cycle to the next. Take wheat for instance. Wheat starts out as a green grass. If harvested at the right time, it can be considered a green leafy vegetable. Green beans are similar. Green beans are immature beans that have not "gone to seed" yet. Eating the immature bean is not the same as eating the fully mature beans. Peas are mature beans (seeds) and should probably be eaten infrequently in small quantities. (Although I do love pea soup with smoked ham hock).

As far as what Grok ate, I think it would mostly be small game, rodents, insects, fish, fruit, tubers and the occasional wooly mammoth.

Comment

Originally posted by musajen View Post
                          I never realized peas and green beans were legumes and have been eating them as part of my primal diet. I like 'em and don't see a reason to give them up. It's not like they're a part of my daily intake, just something I throw in on ocassion so I'm not worried about it.

I agree with you.

Comment

Side note but if domesticated plants are off the table should domesticated beef be off the table as well?
                            Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                            PS
                            Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by padycustom View Post
                              I agree with you.
                              OK. One more time for people who didn't bother reading the thread. Peas are a legume because you are eating the pea itself. Green beans are a vegetable because you are primarily eating the pod (same for snow peas, sugar snap peas). Legumes are not Primal, veggies are. That said, I don't think a few legumes are going to kill you. They are less than optimal food but if you enjoy them and are adequately nourished elsewhere, not a big deal. IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X