too much weight loss?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too much weight loss?

has anyone lost *too much* weight going primal? i am a in my 20s, 5'4''. When I started going primal around May/June I weighed 134. I'm now down to 105 and people say I look too thin (I do). When I hit 112 pounds I began trying to increase fatty fish, nut, etc. consumption to keep from losing (or even gain a few) but I am now down to 105. This is definitely not a homeostasis for me. Anyone else going through this?

Do you know how much you've actually been eating? A lot of people find that they become full very quickly eating this way, and actually eat a lot less than they used to without being hungry. It's good for people who do have a decent amount of weight to lose, but for people like you, it's a different kind of problem! Are you eating fatter cuts of red meat? Cooking things in butter and bacon grease? Adding a good amount of fat to salads in the form of olive oil/avocado/nuts/etc? If you're not currently getting 60-70% of your calories from fat, you should try incorporating more fat into every meal to increase your intake without neccessarily adding a lot of bulk to your meals if you're feeling full too quickly.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

Add some carbs?

Adding sweet potato would not be a bad way to go.

Comment

That's a lot of weight for someone who was small at the start. Looks like you'd have to more than starve to lose that much weight so quickly. So....

Have you traveled to any "exotic" places or eaten at any dubious establishments? Consumed raw/undercooked seafood?

If it's not a matter of inadequate food intake, perhaps you have an intestinal parasite.

Comment

Why don't you start recording your diet on a website like Fitday.com for about a week, and see what your ratios/calorie intake looks like?

Are you physically active, do you have a lot of muscle?

I am also 5'4, at 110lbs. I consume about 2,000 calories a day, 130g of fat, 130g carbs, and 120g protein (about 50/25/20 ratio) which seems to work for me...

On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

105 at 5'4" doesn't sound absurd to me, depending on how you're built. Can you provide us with some type of measure of body fat, like waist+hip diameter? Do you have visible abs? If you're not having any symptoms from being overly low body fat, and it calculates out to a reasonable number, I would say don't worry about it. If you want to add more weight, try to add lean mass via strength training.

Comment

I've dropped more than I wanted too also, but have been tracking so not sure what is going on, other than being more ectomorphic and burning cals sitting still ( I know drives my wife nuts too and me since I would like to gain)....I'm taking in between 3500 and 4000 cals and am not gaining, I'm way too thin at my height...maybe we are in the category who can tolerate some higher carbs above 150gs???

Comment

Hi,
                I have lost my weight to 28lbs and i think i have done it ....
                I am using aphen 375 for me and joined a gym to get better results...
                Thanks

bootcamp orange county
                Last edited by Farley; 03-26-2011, 09:47 AM.

Comment

One sure method of reducing weight is by practicing what is known as “Fletcherism.” It was discovered in 1898 by Horace Fletcher of the U.S.A. Fletcher, at 40, considered himself an old man. He was 50 pounds overweight, contracted flu every six months and constantly complained of indigestion and a tired feeling. After a deep study

read more: The Fletcher Method of Weight Control

Comment

up your healthy carbs and lower your fat ..
                    "If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." Nora Roberts

Start December 20th 2010: 177 lbs
                    Currant: 136 lbs
                    Goal: 125 lbs
                    11 more lbs to go

Follow My Journey :-)

Comment

How to Gain Weight and Build Muscle | Mark's Daily Apple
                      "If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." Nora Roberts

Start December 20th 2010: 177 lbs
                      Currant: 136 lbs
                      Goal: 125 lbs
                      11 more lbs to go

Follow My Journey :-)

Comment

new direction...

Time to gain rather than lose. I seem to have "overshot" my target by a few pounds and definitely don't want to continue in that direction. Thanks to Modern Cave Women for linking Mark's post on hardgainers! The advice seems solid so here are the steps I'm taking to change direction:

Eat more carbs and protein.... sweet potatoes, eggs, whey protein smoothies containing (you guessed it!) eggs and sweet potatoes in addition to heavy whipping cream.

Change my workouts...joined a gym today. Have already achieved level 4 of the "Basic 5" exercises found in the free e-book. Now plan to focus on the barbell exercises Mark recommends. Bought a copy of "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe.

Get more sleep. The energy boost you get from "going Primal" needs to be tempered with plenty of sleep. Also plan to reduce my coffee intake to 1 cup/day.

This, combined with stopping to smell the roses more often will hopefully result in some muscle gain and better overall health. Will repost later with results.

Comment

I wouldn't change your ratios. Upping your carbs isn't a great idea IMO. I would recommend just eating more. Eat three eggs right before you go to bed every day so keep your body processing protein while you sleep. Also, start deadlifting and doing squats. Start packing away more calories in the same ratio. That way, you'll gain lots of lean muscle without accumulating too much adipose tissue. Upping your carbs will just cause you to gain body fat. The goal here should be to gain weight by adding lean muscle mass, not just gaining weight for the sake of gaining weight. If that's the goal, you'll almost always gain unhealthy weight. Adding healthy weight takes more time and work.
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by skeedaddy View Post
                            Change my workouts...joined a gym today. Have already achieved level 4 of the "Basic 5" exercises found in the free e-book. Now plan to focus on the barbell exercises Mark recommends. Bought a copy of "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe.
                            I can only recommend the "Starting Strength" Method. Focus on doing squats, deadlifts, bench press, military press, some sort of pull and maybe add in chin-ups and dips once you've gotten used to the basic lifts. Increase your weight every workout or bang out a couple more reps (but not too many - better to add more weight). Lift heavy and you'll have great results. It's worked for me.

Comment

Thanks for the input! It's been a little over two months and the results have been great. I started at 123 lbs. and am now at 130. At 5'6'' that's made a big difference in my build! Have been working out on the barbell 3 times a week. I also bought Mark Rippetoe's DVD companion to "Starting Strength". It was VERY helpful to see the lifts being performed. For the first few sessions I practiced all 5 basic lifts....Squat, Deadlift, Bench press, Press, and the Power clean. Following that I changed to 3 lifts per session...Squat, Deadlift and Power clean alternating with Squat, Bench press and Press. I have increased the weight every workout since I began alternating lifts. I warm up using a rowing machine for 5 minutes and cool down doing dips, pullups and lying tricept extensions. Have been eating lots of red meat and eggs (average 8 per day). All in all I am very pleased and have found the advice in the Hardgainer post by Mark to be solid. GROK ON!

Comment

Working...
                              X