PB By and For the Ladies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by me2 View Post
    I am also one of those frustrated women, finishing my third month with NO weight loss. I have not focused on nuts, dairy, fruit and chocolate, in fact I cut them all out, and still nothing. I would really like to hear how other women do it, ESPECIALLY Mark's wife. I also want to know more about unique woman's issues, like the role of hormones, and special dietary considerations around our menstrual cycles, menopause, etc. Additionally, I have been told from the start to eat when I am hungry. This does not work. I eat plenty o' fat and am surviving off of meat & veggies and I am not losing weight. I am happy that I have kept my diet a secret so that no CW people are laughing in my face.

Also I want to add a little note about cutting nuts, dairy, & fruit. I found I got SUPER low on energy after 2 months of primal. It took my mom telling me to look at my diet to snap out of it. I added fermented dairy and fruit IN MODERATION back into my diet and found my energy levels came back. We need to be really careful about making big sweeping declarations that a primal food should be cut out in order to lose weight, and instead help each other foster positive relationships with food so that we can enjoy small amounts of all primal foods. We also need to remember that we are all on a journey to find what works for us individually. Instead of saying, "you must cut out nuts to lose weight," we could instead say, "I have found that for me cutting out nuts has worked." I'm just sayin...

I am also wondering how I can be 100% primal, exercise primally 6x a day, & consume 3 alcoholic drinks/ week and be a fatty while my husband can drink 2 beers a night, graze on the grains, chow the chocolate, Redbull, & candy, exercise way less than me and have six pack abs. It is a cruel cruel world.
    losing weight is in your head... if you think about it, worry about it, wonder why its not happening...it aint gonna happen. set the environment in which you dont stress about food or weight. stop worrying about supplements, what you 'need to' cut out and trying to count. you knwo what is primal, you know whats not. you know what overeating it and you know what undereating is. if you are doing or worrying about either, that is no set up for weight loss

if i have learned anything about primal it is do NOT worry about food. food is not going anywhere. 'grokette' only worried about food in the sense that she needed to find her next meal. that is a 100% different mental approach to food most people take here. your food isnt going anywhere, your 'stock' on food will never be zero. let that serve as a calming grounds with food. food essentailly should NOT be on your mind until your hungry, at which point anything will look good, even unseasoned ground beef

and lastly...do not compare yourself to anyone. your are not them and they will neevr be you. be yourself and find yourself...all without food on your mind
    Get on my Level
    http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by me2 View Post
      I am also one of those frustrated women, finishing my third month with NO weight loss. I have not focused on nuts, dairy, fruit and chocolate, in fact I cut them all out, and still nothing. I would really like to hear how other women do it, ESPECIALLY Mark's wife.
      Why? She didn't have weight to loose? She's never been overweight so it doesn't seem like her experience of primal is all that relevant, yk? Regardless, there are a couple links to Carrie's blogposts in this thread.

Additionally, I have been told from the start to eat when I am hungry. This does not work.
      When do you stop eating? When you are full? or when you are no longer hungry. Many eat to the point of being full....but for some, that's too much.

Have you tracked via daily burn? Read the rest of this thread and the other similar threads? (ie search stall, plateau, not loosing weight etc)

I eat plenty o' fat and am surviving off of meat & veggies and I am not losing weight.
      How much fat? Where are the organ meats? What does the fitness look like? What kind of supplements?

I added fermented dairy and fruit IN MODERATION back into my diet and found my energy levels came back.
      Many when cutting out those things make the mistake of not adding in the nutrients in other ways - especially potassium and some carbs. starchy carbs are another way to support a little carb consumption without the problems that for some, are associated with fructose consumption. (see The Perfect Health Diet, Jaminet 2010)

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Originally posted by kuno1chi View Post
        I will never be a Gazelle---I have wide shoulders and hips, and a big rib cage---but I can be a Lioness. And that makes me happy
        like!!!

I can be a lioness! rawr...

Comment

me2: Are you really drinking 3x a week?
          "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalWannabeGirl View Post
            I happen to think there is a Primal Blueprint for women, and that it is different from what works for men.

I was on an ethnographic reading kick for a while, and I surveyed a number of writings about modern hunter-gatherer peoples, the closest we can get to watching a Grok-equivalent in action.

Women's physical activities involve a lot of the following:
            1. Carrying Things. Please notice this is NOT the same activity as Lifting Heavy Things.
            --Things like bundles of wood on the head or tied to the back.
            --Things like babies in slings, worn in the front or back, often with a toddler carried on the hip.
            --Things like bundles of very heavy roots.
            2. Digging for Things with Digging Sticks. Notice this is not the same activity as hunting game by using a spear.
            ---Things like roots.
            ---Things like insects.
            3. Pounding roots, barks and seeds in a bowl or chopping things up. Notice this is not the same thing as chopping wood.

Women often walk to and from a foraging site, at distances that require a full day, carrying their nursing babies and then the heavy skins of foraged roots, plants, and barks back to camp. I think that's the paradigmatic Primal Activity for Females. Not sprinting. Females excel at ultraendurance events out of proportion to their numbers in the sport. I think that's because we're uniquely suited to it.

Just some ponderings.

PWG
            I was thinking about this yesterday & I so agree! I am really struggling with adding sprinting into my workout. Dancing all out at my weekly free-style dance sessions, yes. Running--uh, no. Interestingly, I rarely see an overweight mama who consistently carries her baby--- strollers certainly aren't primal!
            Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
            Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
            Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Besides, who wants to spint with 2 milk full heavy boobies bruising my chin! (unless escaping from a predotor!)

But very good point PWgirl. Walking for long distances seems right to me too.. expecailly since women ususally have a baby or 3 in tow/carry of some discription.

Comment

I happen to think there is a Primal Blueprint for women, and that it is different from what works for men.

I was on an ethnographic reading kick for a while, and I surveyed a number of writings about modern hunter-gatherer peoples, the closest we can get to watching a Grok-equivalent in action.

1. Carrying Things. Please notice this is NOT the same activity as Lifting Heavy Things.
                --Things like babies in slings, worn in the front or back, often with a toddler carried on the hip.
                2. Digging for Things with Digging Sticks. Notice this is not the same activity as hunting game by using a spear.
                ---Things like roots.
                ---Things like insects.
                3. Pounding roots, barks and seeds in a bowl or chopping things up. Notice this is not the same thing as chopping wood.

Women often walk to and from a foraging site, at distances that require a full day, carrying their nursing babies and then the heavy skins of foraged roots, plants, and barks back to camp. I think that's the paradigmatic Primal Activity for Females. Not sprinting. Females excel at ultraendurance events out of proportion to their numbers in the sport. I think that's because we're uniquely suited to it.

Just some ponderings.

PWG
                I heart this. I am going to incorporate it into my Personal Female PB. Basically, I garden like a mutha. So primal. I dig a lot. I carry heavy things around a lot. I chop things a lot. Small things, not wood-sized things.
                ~ Ex-Herbivore Goes Carnivore: Jazmin's PB Journal ~

Comment

It's called Marks Daily Apple and it's very good medicine......but I wouldn't be surprised if he and Carrie actually don't eat many apples!

Perhaps it's the 'Eve' coming out in a plateau'd Grokette?

Damn that fructose!
                  activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Comment

Originally posted by localad View Post
                    It's called Marks Daily Apple and it's very good medicine......but I wouldn't be surprised if he and Carrie actually don't eat many apples!

Perhaps it's the 'Eve' coming out in a plateau'd Grokette?

Damn that fructose!
                    Orrrrr.... perhaps Grokette was never supposed to get as lean as Grok(given that bodyfat is needed for reproduction) and therefore can and should include her daily apple...

Just a thought...

Comment

---Things like roots.
                      ---Things like insects.

Just some ponderings.

PWG
                      I wear my babies every where. WE ditched the bucket carseat early and upgraded to a convertible - I cook wearing ds on my back in the ergo. I wear him to/from the car when we have to drive some where. I wear him when we walk to daycare. I wear him when I take dd for a walk around the neighborhood... and let me say walking with 20lbs of baby up a 7% grade hill even at a slow (2yo dd) pace is hard! Add a little speed (but not much) and its a work out! I wear ds on my back in the ergo when we're doing yard work! There so much you can do wearing a baby! I can even carry dd when he's riding on my back! That's 45lbs of heavy lifting... you can always get a backpack and put some bricks in it for your walk... I've got army friends that do that when they're getting ready to deploy....
                      The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
                      What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
                      SW 190lb
                      Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
                      25 Sep 2011 160lbs
                      1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
                      GW ~135lbs
                      5'3"
                      Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

And dancing. Don't forget the dancing. The all-night, trippin' on some substance community DANCING.

PWG

Comment

---Things like roots.
                          ---Things like insects.

Just some ponderings.

PWG
                          This makes a lot of sense to me. I also agree with the comments about carrying babies everywhere/putting bricks in a backpack and dancing all night trippin on some sh*t.

I've also observed this difference at the yoga studio I practice at. Lots of fit men practice there-even a few professional athletes. And it is fairly normal/common for them to get flustered and exhausted halfway through the class and need to lie down a lot, while the middle aged women in the same class are just fine and breathing completely normally the entire time. This isn't a hard and fast rule but it does seem like an overall trend, especially for the bulkier/more muscular men.

A lot of the time when I am out walking, I notice that I get random urges to climb things-fences trees, etc. Could this be left over from an instinctive drive to climb trees to forage for fruits and eggs?
                          Last edited by munchies; 11-16-2010, 11:03 AM.

Comment

I disagree about the sprinting. Women would have had the same need to escape predators as men - foraging can put you in harm's way. AND they'd have needed to do it with a baby on their back. Being a girl is no reason to not run fast.

Comment

me2,

I believe Cilla was referring to Carrie Sisson when she said, "She's never been overweight...". What I think she was getting at, is that Carrie's experience on PB might be different from the experience of those of us, myself included, who wouldn't mind losing some fat.

I know she didn't mean to hurt your feelings, she's not like that, at all <3<3<3

Comment

I started doing the primal diet in the very early spring of this year. I kept at it and went off for a few months because I was just trying a few new things. I went off recently and really felt the effects of my old diet so I'm back. I have lost 15lbs this year. I stay around 139-140 now. I am still noticing (slowly) the toning coming out in my legs. I just think it takes a while for us women to shed body fat. My boyfriend lost 60lbs in a year and went from fat body to extremely lean, ripped body. I was jealous! It didn't seem like he ever really struggled to lose it, it just kept falling off for him. I'm about 5'2'' and I feel like I should weigh 130-135. It's taking a while for me to really 'set in stone' my eating habits and exercise habits. I'm a spontaneous person and it's hard for me to stick to the same thing all the time. I haven't done P90x in a while, besides the yoga part and it's getting a little too chilly to ride the bike. I think that this winter I'm going to focus on running and swimming and MAYBE some time on the trainer (uggh) and see what happens. I'm also going to stay primal too. I haven't given up and it seems like, for me, the fat isn't coming back... I have no idea why, but it isn't. I thought it would when I was eating crappy. Maybe I should start a journal or something.

Comment

Working...
                                X