No announcement yet.

Vaccines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SeanBissel: Dont get me started on tetanus shots. Did you know that within the last 10 years, the pharmaceutical industry released "contaminated" tetanus shots that contained the same chemical used to sterilize sexual predators in prison. Somehow, that does not seem like a harmless accident.

HPV Vaccine information:

http://vran.org/in-the-news/hpv-huma...ardasil%C2%AE/

Comment

There is a difference between staying informed and open about new data regarding the risks behind vaccines, and rejecting vaccination all together.

I think that the uncertainty about vaccination is, in the vast majority of cases, tremendously counterbalanced by the potential benefits it brings.

Skepticism is also, imo, a very misused word.

On Skepticism: http://tinyurl.com/mh6wwu

Overview of the issue: http://tinyurl.com/la2mjy

"The 14 studies": http://tinyurl.com/l56uqj

Analysis of the 14 studies: http://tinyurl.com/ctly3h

More:

http://tinyurl.com/lg7de4

http://tinyurl.com/nj2hug

http://tinyurl.com/ozkvpe

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
      "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

The depth of your ignorance amazes me. Yes, the holocaust was a hoax and the government is trying to poison your children. I'm done with this thread.

Comment

Ignorance? Why? Simply because someone stated their opinion?

Comment

All I've gotta say is that we'll never know 100% about anything, and that's why we're always learning.

All we can do is do the best with the info we have.

That being said...

I've been to a couple of the concentration camps in Germany.

Sure seemed pretty real to me... Pretty disturbingly real.

-Sean

www.SeanBissell.com

Comment

Not saying the holocaust didn't happen, just that there is an interesting and thought provoking counter point to it. This isn't the forum or the thread to discuss that or these conspiracy theories (which I find fascinating):

- Oil is actually a renewal resource

- Global warming is a farce

- The Federal Reserve should be audited

- The housing market isn't at the bottom yet

- Kenneth DeLay isn't really dead!

-bcreager

Comment

hrm... ok. i think we got a little off topic.

Comment

My opinion is pretty much exactly like Pellegrina's. I had homebirths, anti-circumcision, extended breastfeeding, homeschooling....but I got my kids vaccinated with the MMR and DPT shots.

I live near Sebastopol, which is sort of a hippie community in Sonoma County, California. They mostly don't vaccinate, and every couple of years they have another outbreak of measles or whooping cough. I know a mom who's son has seizures caused by the lack of oxygen when he had whooping cough.

It's all about the risk/benefit ratio, and I believe the benefits of vaccines outweigh the risks. But even though their lack of vaccinations puts my kids at greater risk, I'm still very uneasy about taking away a parent's choice to do as he/she sees fit.

Comment

Dragonmamma,

Let me derail this thread even more than we've already done!

My wife's dad spent a lot of time in Sebastopol, and now has a home in Tehachapi. (I know what you're sayin about the hippie community But it sounds like a cool place!

I wanna visit Tehachapi some day. Sounds pretty interesting.

-Sean

www.SeanBissell.com

Comment

Phew. I think maybe the holocaust deniers need to take a hike and go post about vaccines on Stormfront or something. Technically I think this thread makes reading Mark's Daily Apple a crime in Germany, too, and we don't want to exclude the Germans.

Comment

People who do not vaccinate their kids against serious illnesses are not just jeopardizing their own kids lives, but potentially many more in the future.

Why not just do you part to eradicate the diseases? Then no one else will need to be vaccinated in the future.

Not immunizing against serious disease is selfish and irresponsible. I wouldn't wish any of the diseases on these peoples kids, but they are the ones gambling that 'it won't happen to MY kids'.

While these diseases still exist, it IS happening to someones kids. What unique powers do you kids have that makes them immune? Oh yeah, that called immunisation.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
                        • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
                        • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Comment

I'm not even sure that I should participate in this thread, as it seems to be mostly about vaccinating children, and I have no children.

But I am a Risk Manager by training, and to me everything is a Risk/Benefit equation.

I was a Guinea Pig in the great Swine Flu tests in the 1970s, and almost croaked as a result, along with 50 of my fellow student volunteers. They never DID tell us what was wrong with the vaccine my group received...

I never, ever get the flu, and if I did, I would be okay. So I will not be partaking in the newest flu vaccine.

But I COULD conceivably die from typhus, yellow fever, and tetanus... so I am vaccinated against those (I travel). i have also been blessed by my parents, who gave me polio, diptheria, measles, and assorted normal childhood vaccinations, as those could have killed me, too.

Learn all you can about risks and benefits, from many independent source, not one web site. Use your brain---make your decisions.

Comment

"While these diseases still exist, it IS happening to someones kids. What unique powers do you kids have that makes them immune? Oh yeah, that called immunisation. "

Could you please list the vaccines that give 100% immunity to diseases? If not 100%, then what percentage of immunity does one get from a vaccine?

Also, why don't we use the BCG in the US, its the most widely used vaccine in the world? That seems selfish and irresponsible. Why don't we vaccinate for Malaria, it kills more people then flu? Again, seems selfish and irresponsible.

-bcreager

Comment

Tarlach,

which diseases am i not participating in the eradication of?

Let us take a look at the wiki entry for Measles...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measles

According to this site, death from measles is a 3/1000 proposition in developed countries.

"The measles vaccine can destroy the protective sheath covering the nerves, brain, and spinal cord. The onset of autism after the MMR vaccine has also been reported. According to a study conducted by the World Health Organization (WHO), chances are about 14 time greater that measles will be contracted by those vaccinated against the disease than by those who are left alone. Between 61% - 90% of the measles cases occur in previously vaccinated children."

This web site actually cites the CDC and the WHO as primary sources of these statistics.

Comment

You think measles the measles vaccine is a joke?

Measles is described by the World Health Organization (WHO) as one of the best known and "most deadly of all childhood rash/fever illnesses".

It is a highly contagious, acute, vaccine-preventable, viral disease that can lead to serious complications and death

The claims of autism have been disproved.
                                [quote]

Health officials say 95% of children should receive MMR so that vaccination programmes are effective, but take-up rates in the UK stand at 82%.

Many parents were put off from vaccinating their children with MMR after research linked the vaccine with autism.

Concern over the jab was sparked by a paper published in The Lancet in 1998 by Dr Andrew Wakefield.

But a more recent study in the same journal concluded there was no evidence of a link between the jab and autism.

Immunisation rates fell as low as 80% in the wake of the scare.
                                </blockquote>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/4871728.stm

The vaccine saves lives.
                                [quote]

The death rate from measles in Africa dropped by more than 90 percent between 2000 and 2006, the World Health Organization announced, describing it as a "spectacular" improvement brought about by a vaccination campaign that combined the know-how of global public health officials with a large dose of private financing.

- from 396,000 deaths in 2000 to 36,000 in 2006
                                </blockquote>

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/30/world/africa/30iht-measles.1.8539895.html

Measles is highly contagious - 90% of people without immunity sharing a house with an infected person will catch it.

If the death rate is 3/1000 - that means for every 333 kids that get measles, one dies. You like those odds for your kids do you? Especially with the rates of infection rapidly rising...

From Wikipedia:
                                [quote]

Indigenous measles were declared to have been eliminated in North, Central, and South America; the last endemic case in the region was reported on November 12, 2002, with only Northern Argentina and rural Canada, particularly in the provinces of Ontario, Quebec, and Alberta having minor endemic status. Outbreaks are still occurring, however, following importations of measles viruses from other world regions. In June 2006, an outbreak in Boston resulted after a resident became infected in India, and in October 2007, a Michigan girl who had been vaccinated contracted the disease in Sweden.

Between January 1 and April 25, 2008, a total of 64 confirmed measles cases were preliminarily reported in the United States to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the most reported by this date for any year since 2001. Of the 64 cases, 54 were associated with importation of measles from other countries into the United States, and 63 of the 64 patients were unvaccinated or had unknown or undocumented vaccination status.

By July 9, 2008, a total of 127 cases were reported in 15 states (including 22 in Arizona), making it the largest U.S. outbreak since 1997 (when 138 cases were reported). Most of the cases were acquired outside of the United States and afflicted individuals who had not been vaccinated.

By July 30, 2008, the number of cases had grown to 131. Of these, about half involved children whose parents rejected vaccination. The 131 cases occurred in 7 different outbreaks. There were no deaths, and 15 hospitalizations. 11 of the cases had received at least one dose of the measles vaccine. 122 of the cases involved children who were unvaccinated or whose vaccination status was unknown. Some of these were under the age of one year old and below the age when vaccination is recommended, but in 63 cases the vaccinations had been refused for religious or philosophical reasons.
                                </blockquote>

The rise is due to unvaccinated children (and those who were vaccinated probably wouldn&#39;t have contracted it if it wasn&#39;t for exposure to unvaccinated kids).
                                [quote]

Last year HPA research showed that, without a wider uptake of the MMR vaccine, there was a real risk of a large measles epidemic of between 30,000 to 100,000 cases, the majority in London.

Earlier this week, researchers warned that hopes of eradicating measles in Europe by 2010 were in jeopardy due to poor vaccination rates in a handful of countries including Britain.
                                </blockquote>

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/jan/09/measles-record-numbers

More:

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P2-7847766.html

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
                                • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
                                • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Comment

Working...
                                X