Dog Owners?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog Owners?

Just curious how many of you feed your dogs a species appropriate diet, Raw. My dog has been Raw Fed for over two years now and I'm very happy with his health and fitness.

I changed my dogs (2 labs) over to raw diet about 6 months ago. One of my labs was breaking a lot of teeth (like 6!) and the vet couldn't tell us what was wrong. They wanted us to stop playing ball with her, thinking that was doing it. She was 4 at the time, and never had problems before.

I did some research and though maybe it was a food allergy, so I switched them to raw food. They love it, and I can't imagine going back to dry food. I feed them mostly chicken, but their favorite is pork loin ribs...its like a drool waterfall as soon as they see me take them out of the fridge!

Shiny coat, lean build, and clean teeth, all + and no -, I recommend it to everyone I can.

-bcreager

Comment

One of my dogs has *really* bad allergies. So bad that she's on some pretty powerful medicine for it @ $70-$140 a month for the prescription. It's actually made for organ transplant patients.

If we didn't give it to her, she'd literally scratch off the fur on her face, and bite off the fur on her legs/paws... not very much fun.

I've lately switched her diet to no grains, no legumes, no sugar, and started pouring walnut oil over her food to increase her fat content.

I've cut down her medication to about 1/7th of what it was before, and she's doing awesome.

Pretty crazy, grains can be really bad.

-Sean

www.SeanBissell.com

Comment

Sean, congratulations on nearly curing your dog with diet! That is so awesome.

I really want to switch my dog's diet but I need resources for exactly what she needs to eat and how much.

Since we've been eating primally and she's been getting more meat scraps and such, she is more reluctant to eat her kibble... and I don't blame her! Any good resources/links for where to start?

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

I feed my two huskies a mostly raw diet with lots of bones and some supplemental sardine oil. They love it. One of them has an allergy to grains - it causes facial itching. It really improved when I switched them to mostly raw. The get our meat & veggie scraps, too. No grain, though. Their coats definitely improve with added oil. If only the seasonal shedding would stop!

Comment

My dog has been fed meat, bones and organs only since he was a puppy. He is 19 years old now.

There was a post about this about a month ago, some really good stuff

Comment

If humans often suffer from eating grains, imagine carnivores like dogs! That they can usually do OK with grain loaded dog food is amazing.

I haven't had a dog in many years, just not my thing. But if I were to have one now, it would either be raw meat or canned 100% meat.

Just a thought, can you dog owners find a custom slaughter/butcher operation nearby? I'm sure they would be glad to find another market for the organ meats.

Comment

I have two retired racing greyhounds. We started feeding them raw and they loved it, but it was time consuming and costly. We switched back to a top line dry food, Innova Evo for many years. But now, the oldest one has been going for periods without eating, so we switched back to raw and he hasn't missed a meal since. Luckily, we found some premade raw foods and all we have to do is thaw it out. They get a little bit of cod liver oil on it as well.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
                Current weight: 199
                Goal: 145

Comment

My dogs are on all-raw diet (frozen dinner bars + wild salmon oil). My 14-year-old is doing great--the vet had suggested she might be too old to make the change, but I eased her into it, and she's been all BARF for about six months now--I'm REALLY glad I did it.

Comment

im still feeding my pitbull half raw half cooked food. Raw meats and bones but cooked salmon and veggies... he is a little bit overweight by the doc but he eats healthy and moves a lot so i think its just his bigger than average size for the species...

challenge yourself
                    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

BARF for Beginners - Most Frequently Asked Questions

Raw Feeding FAQ

SundaySaver: National - Weekly Sales Circulars & Sunday Newspaper Ads

pets.groups.yahoo.com/gro...-Supplier/

Books:

The BARF Diet by Ian Billinghurst, DVM

Home-Prepared Dog & Cat Diets: the Healthful Alternative

by Donald R. Strombeck

Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats by Kymythy Schultze

Work Wonders by Tom Lonsdale, DVM

The Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog by Wendy Volhard

Switching To Raw by Susan K. Johnson

The New Natural Cat by Anitra Frazier

Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats by Richard Pitcairn, DVM and Susan Hubble Pitcarin

The Complete Herbal Handbook for the Dog and Cat by Juliette de Bairacli Levy

Raw Dog Food by Carina Beth McDonald

Websites:

General Information About Raw Diets

Raw Learning Site

The Top 50 BARF FAQ for Beginners

WellPet's Nutrition Articles

Caber Feidh's Holsitic Care Articles (site owned/articles written by sfraw member, Christie Keith)

RawFed.com

US Raw Meaty Bones Organization

Raw Connections

Articles

What's Best, Cooked or Raw?

Do Dogs and Cats Need Grains?

The Importance of Feeding a Natural Diet

Natural Diet for Dogs and Cats by Jeff Levy DVM

Why Raw?

Is A Raw Diet Dangerous? by Dr. Wysong

Why Cats Shouldn't Eat Dry Food

Raw Diet Guru Websites

Richard Pitcairn

Ian Billinghurst

Wendy Volhard

Tom Lonsdale

Kymythy Schultz

Sue Johnson

Marina Zacharias - based on Juliette de Bairacli Levy's diet

Monica Segal

Feline Specific Sites

Pottenger Cats study

Cat Nutrition

Feline Future

Holisticat

Raw Fed Cats

Michelle T. bernard's diet

How to prepare fresh cat food by Christine M. Ruessheim

Canine Specific Sites

The BARF Pictorial

Raw Dog Ranch Step-by-Step Pictorial

Raw Fed Dogs

Lew Olson

Dogaware

4LoveofDog

Forums:

Raw Diet Lists

The RawFeeding List (the biggest raw diet list - you should start here if new to raw)

The RawDiet List

The RawPaws List

The RawChat List

The BARFWorld List (hosted by veterinarian, Dr. Ian Billinghurst)

The advBARF List (for advanced discussions - no beginners, please)

The Basic Raw List (for those following more of a Lonsdale/whole carcass approach)

The BARFLite List (for those who feed cooked meat or kibble in addition to raw)

General Health Lists

WellPet (the original pet health list)

The NaturalPet List

The HolisticPet List

The Pets4Homeopathy List

Feline Lists

The Holisticat List

The CatBARF List

The CatNutrition List

The RawCat List

The FelineFutureDiet List

The CatWell List (general cat health, not just diet)

Canine Lists

The K9NutritionStudyGroup List

The RawPup List (great for learning to feed puppies raw)

The RawBreeder List

The NaturalRawDog List

The SeniorRawFeeding List

Ferret List

The NaturalFerret List

For breed specific raw groups, please go to the Yahoo! Groups site and do a search for your breed "+ BARF" or "+ raw". You will usually find a list specifically tailored to fanciers of your breed and/or breed type (sighthounds, giant breeds, toy breeds, etc.)

The RawVet List is a great place to send your vet so they can learn more about raw diets!

Dog Feeding Info

Re: BARF websites and books

Raw Feeding

Feeding a Raw Diet

Raw Diet | B-Naturals.Com Newsletter

B-Naturals

Re: BARF websites and books

BARF Diet - Healthy & Natural Raw Food For Dogs & Cats, Pet Health Care Food & Nutrition Products Supply Online

BARF for Beginners - Most Frequently Asked Questions

Welcome to barfers Homepage: Find it all on barfers.com

Welcome to the Raw Dog Ranch!

www.angelfire.com/biz/fro...awFed.html

B-Naturals

IPI ....International Purveyor Index

Caber Feidh Scottish Deerhounds

www.bowchow.com/

www.forums.doghobbyist.com/fo...p?catid=29

Raw Feeding

RawFed.com Home Page

Jane Anderson's Raw Learning Site

premade raw:

Oma's Pride Home

bravodiet.com

Nature’s Variety

Primal Pet Foods, Inc.

BARF Frozen Raw Dog and Cat Food | BARF Bones and Raw Pet Food

Amoré Pet Foods - Frozen Raw Natural Dog and Cat Food

Premium Raw Holistic Dog & Cat Food

Healthy Paws Raw Pet Food

Organic, Holistic Pet Food, Premium Pet Food – The Honest Kitchen

Comment

Thank You Luvbirds!!
                        I am bringing home a new young one next week & I KNOW I want to feed him a grain-free diet. I just started looking up some things & it looks like you found all the articles for me!

I will be back with progress reports & pics. Maybe a Primal Pup journal, eh?

Comment

It looks like you've got lots of info already, but I thought I'd add that Mercola has a vet he's associated with now (Dr. Becker) and she's actually got a book out for $20 online that includes recipes and measurements... I just picked it up planning to switch my dogs over. Just found the link here.

Comment

we've fed raw off and on to our greyhounds. We currently have 19 and I can't even begin to tell you how much work it is to prep...not just meals, but processing hundreds of pounds of raw chicken/meat/offal every couple weeks. So..until our pack is a more reasonable size we've compromised and gone with a grain free kibble and a hearty supplementation with raw meat/bones/offal.
                            Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

I have my dog on grain free kibble (Blue Wilderness). She is doing very well on it, but I've been researching raw for almost a year now and am thinking about making the switch. The prey model method seems to make more sense (and be a lot less work) than BARF IMO. I haven't tried either yet (although Lucy does get the occasional chicken neck as a treat).

Comment

Working...
                              X