Is Saturated Fat safe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Saturated Fat safe?

My doctor, who I have a lot of respect for, said that 'your body can't handle saturated fat.' when asked about it. What is the deal here? I am taking this lifestyle pretty literally. I rarely used to eat red meat and now eat it often. Butter, animal fats... Is it really ok for your heart and disease prevention?

Please read around this website. Please read Good Calories, Bad Calories. Please read any of the Eades' books.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Comment

The usual human body is made up of 15-25% of saturated fats............................................
      .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
      ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Life Without Bread is turning out to be a pretty good book for explaining this too. I'm halfway through it... Saturated fat is perfectly healthy!

Comment

Bpaul, here is the place to start your learning.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/
          A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

I have not heard about the big limitations of saturated fat. It is safe I think.

Comment

I second the 'read Good Calories, Bad Calories' if you wish to never fear saturated fat again, and - unlike with 'advice' from your doctor - actually understand why it's good for you.
              The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
              Blog
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rphlslv View Post
                The usual human body is made up of 15-25% of saturated fats............................................
                Indeed. If your body "couldn't handle it", why would it store excess calories in that form? Bodyfat in humans is similar to that in pigs, so when you use stored fat for energy, you're basically (metabolically) "eating" lard.

Comment

Your doctor is functioning on information that is not only twenty to thirty years out of date, but incorrect when it was first published. He had one day of nutrition classes in medical school. Just keep doing what you're doing, and read the books that others have recommended. Doctors don't know everything.
                  Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Now, have you had digestive pain when eating more fat? If so, search here on "gall bladder." If not, see what everyone else said above. Research Ancel Keys for info on the worst scientific fraud ever perpetrated.
                    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

There is no link between satiated fat intake and stroke, heart disease, or peripheral vascular disease.

Comment

Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                        Research Ancel Keys for info on the worst scientific fraud ever perpetrated.
                        Or in a bit of animation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8WA5wcaHp4

(FatHead clip)
                        Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by Griff View Post
                          Your doctor is functioning on information that is not only twenty to thirty years out of date, but incorrect when it was first published. He had one day of nutrition classes in medical school. Just keep doing what you're doing, and read the books that others have recommended. Doctors don't know everything.
                          I heartily second Griff's opinion. And I'm a doctor ...
                          Never eat anything bigger than your own head.

Comment

If the media and charlatan medical practitioners repeat something enough, we tend to forget where the burden of proof lies, and it is on those who assert the affirmative and have never in 30 something years produced the least bit of evidence for their position. But that is fine, because we can falsify the notion.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...iet-heart.html

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abst...n.2009.27725v1

Doh!

I'm actually more of the disposition that if you replace enough grains and pufas with saturated fat you can substantially reduce your risk for heart disease, though there still needs to be some more concrete evidence.
                            Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

I'm not sure if this is the place, I wanted to go over the reasons I'm no longer worried about saturated fats. I'm trying to put a scientific picture book together, so its concise. The clincher for me was the wikipedia page on why saturated fats are bad is entirely made up of epediomological studies, not science. The science of heart disease looks at artherosclerosis, which is ?fine until there is inflammation. Inflammation is related to prostaglandins, which is related to the omega 3, 6, and 9 fats. Series 1 & 3 reduce/ regulate inflammation. These ones are made of omega 3's and monounsaturated fats (omega 9's). Series 2 is from omega 6's which are in excess in your standard vegetable oils, and cause inflammation (which is useful in some circumstances). I really can't find anything wrong with saturated fats, and even if you believe the lipid hypothesis (the saturated-fats-are-bad official line) then there are individual saturated fats that are good for your cholesterol ratios. TC:HDL - eg. lauric acid which is in coconut oil, has the best effect on this ratio than any other fat. See wikipedia. Does all this make sense to you guys?
                              I think all this information should be more easily accessible and want to make it so. I think people who are less inclined to believe that which is not mainstream shouldn't have to have a crisis of faith in their doctor and the medical system and science, in order to change to a healthier diet.

Comment

Working...
                              X