- Mark's Daily Apple - http://www.marksdailyapple.com -
Posted By Worker Bee On January 4, 2007 @ 8:51 pm In Big Pharma,Diet,Hype,Nutrition,Supplements | Comments Disabled
Worker Bees’ Daily Bites
What’s up, Apples? All kinds of great health news for you today. Here’s the latest you’ll want to click:
1) Fine…But It’s Still a Frankenfat
So, we don’t really have a comment on this . What goes on with this line of reasoning? Who thinks this stuff up? “Take bad fake fat. Fake it some more so it has some good in it. But it’s still bad fat. Sort of.” Huh? Here’s an idea: stop playing God with food! Oh yeah. Sorry. We promised no comment. People may never stop eating potato chips; should scientists just try to make them slightly less terrible for you? We just don’t believe this is the best humans are capable of. We’re only bees, of course…
2) Never Too Late to Feel Great with Folate
After it became common knowledge that women needs lots of folate to prevent birth defects, things started to improve. For a while. The government has conducted two back-to-back long-term studies to see if women are getting enough folate.
Surprisingly, levels are way back down  again despite all the folic flapping. The researchers think it’s a combination of obesity rates increasing and supplementation rates decreasing. The moral? Stay lean, eat greens, and take a multivitamin , for goodness’ sake. (If for no other reason than to make us quit with the folate rhymes!)
3) We Knew It!
This just in: soap and water  are just as good at removing germs as all those fancy-schmancy hand sanitizers. Repeat: soap and water are just as good. Hand sanitizers are the bottled water of the germ-conscious set.
Here are the facts for all you beloved germophobes:
– Alcohol-based sanitizers do a good job of killing bacteria IF you use a lot of the goop. Most people only use a little squirt and that’s not really enough. Also, these hand sanitizers kill good bacteria along with the bad. We would die without good bacteria, so it’s something to think about. Besides, remember that most of the really nasty stuff is viral, not bacterial (flu, colds, HIV, meningitis, tuberculosis, etc.).
– Which brings us to the next fact: while sanitizers will not always kill viruses, hand-washing will. That’s because soap isn’t a killer – soap is just a slimeball (literally). Soap helps bacteria and viruses slide right off your hands, which is why you need to “soap up” for at least 10 rigorous seconds before rinsing. Soap doesn’t kill, it just gives germs the slip.
More clickativity from around the web:
Crazy But True 
Bad Days Continue for Big Pharma : 8,000 people aren’t wrong.
Article printed from Mark's Daily Apple: http://www.marksdailyapple.com
URL to article: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/carb-free-news/
URLs in this post:
 Start Here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/welcome-to-marks-daily-apple/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_start_here
 Primal Blueprint 101: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_pb_101
 free weekly newsletter: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/subscribe-to-blog/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_newsletter
 books: http://primalblueprint.com/categories/Store/Books-and-Media/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_books
 support options: http://primalblueprint.com/categories/Store/Services/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_services
 supplements: http://primalblueprint.com/categories/Store/Supplements/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_supplements
 this: http://www.playfuls.com/news_003764_Researchers_Develop_Beneficial_Trans_Fat.html
 levels are way back down: http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=healthNews&storyID=2007-01-04T203453Z_01_COL473911_RTRIDST_0_HEALTH-FOLATE-LEVELS-DC.XML&WTmodLoc=SciHealth-C4-Health-3
 multivitamin: http://www.masterformula.com
 soap and water: http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=healthNews&storyID=2007-01-04T194918Z_01_N04176236_RTRIDST_0_HEALTH-SOAP-DC.XML&WTmodLoc=SciHealth-C1-Headline-9
 Crazy But True: http://www.hon.ch/News/HSN/600586.html
 Bad Days Continue for Big Pharma: http://www.localnewsleader.com/kindred/stories/index.php?action=fullnews&id=39963
Copyright © 2009 Mark's Daily Apple. All rights reserved.