Rachel is our contest winner with the correct answer of Fruity Cheerios!
Oh, Fruity Cheerios. Let me count the ways I detest thee:
1. 92% Carbs
2. Ingredient 1 = Whole Grain Corn
3. Ingredient 2 = Sugar
4. Ingredient 4 = Corn Syrup
5. Ingredient 5 = Corn Starch
6. They perpetuate the myth that dietary cholesterol is public enemy #1.
7. They use children involved in gross, unbridled Cheerio orgies to sell their product. (As if that child is excited about the Cheerios because they are Cheerios. I have a feeling he would be as excited if the Cheerios were, say, cotton balls, shiny nickels, or Vital Omegas. )
Pumping out health and nutrition information day-in day-out is a labor of love. But just like politics, without voter participation and turnout everyone loses. So we are asking you to get behind us and help us take Mark’s Daily Apple to the next level!
Why are we asking for your support?
There are a couple things at work here:
1. In order to be able to continue to bring free health advice and news to everyone we’ve got to keep traffic levels on the rise.
On a related note, and more importantly:
Cast your mind back to Sunday, when you crowded around the television with your best buds to watch a great game of football. Now cast your mind back to the eating habits of your friends. Were there any double dippers in your crew? If so, you might be interested in a new study by Clemson University researchers that suggests that double dipping can transfer as much as 10,000 bacteria from the offending eaters mouth to the otherwise innocent dip (and, if you imbibe, your mouth!)
For the study, which will be published later this year in the Journal of Food Safety, researchers instructed nine student volunteers to take a bite of a cracker and then re-dip the remaining portion for three seconds into a tablespoon of test dip. Test dips included sterile water with three different degrees of acidity (appetizing, huh?), a commercial salsa, a cheese dip, and chocolate syrup. The students were instructed to repeat the process with new crackers until they had conducted either three or six double dips per dip sample.
For the 22 players on the field this Sunday, the Super Bowl represents a time to showcase their strength, power, endurance, and – perhaps most importantly – will to win. It’s a chance to be the best, to score 365 days-worth of bragging rights, and to become the owner of a much-coveted Super Bowl ring (although at this point, I think it’s best to politely ignore the fact that they’re fighting for a splashy piece of jewelry!)
For the rest of us, Super Bowl Sunday is really not much more than an excuse to laze around on the couch and gorge on chips, dip, sub-par pizza and an endless supply of beer!
© 2014 Mark's Daily Apple